Saturday, November 05, 2005

Chee Chien

I've just talked to him an hour ago. I told him I will write an entry on my blog about him.

He is a friend I have known for almost 10 years which during that whole time, apart from the first 4 months, in long distance.

One amazing thing about him is that, he never forgets a single friend. We were housemates along with 8 other people at the House of 80,in Subang Jaya, the place I studied for 4 months before I went to Lincoln NE. Until today, he can still tell me what is happening with Badak, Kham Bey, Aunty Suzy, Chee Sin, etc.

I remember those 4 months in Subang Jaya was the worst time of my life ever. I hated my classes, I hated how tiny my room was, I hated the food there, I hated how expensive everything was, I hated the air I breathed, I hated the cruel weather but I loved my housemates. If not because of them, hell would be a better option.

I had so many good chats with Chee Chien. He and Badak were my closest buddies at that time. I remember we went to the US Embassy together to get our student visas that summer. We parted road, I went to NE, He went to Purdue University in IN. Badak and I wrote sporadically when we left House of 80. Chee Chien and I talked continuously... first on Telnet, then on ICQ, and now on MSN, as technology develops.

Then we graduated. He got a job, a girlfriend, and now a wife and a permanent residentship. And I got none of those. I have been aware of almost all of what's going on with him, and him the same of me.

It was lame that for all the times we were in the states, and how many times we've talked about it, we've never visited each other, not even once, although there was once I almost saw him in Chinatown Chicago. I was so bummed because I forgot to bring his phone number with me. He happened to come to the same restaurant an hour later after I left!!

He is the most outstanding heathen friend that I have, whom lasted longer than my own ex boyfriend, whom ironically was born on the same day as he was, and also with whom, shared the same initials!!!

Next year, if we meet up (better action than talk now), it will be 10 years since we last saw each other.

My words to Chee Chien...bless you my friend. Thank you for all the lovely memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I did not realize at all that you can still remember we had actually gone for our student visa together...that was exactly like 9+ years ago. I had almost forgetten about that myself..hee, thanks for the reminder!
However, I do remember all the good & bad incidents we had in the House of 80. Thinking back now, it was such a memorable time we both shared when were young, naive and crazy - maybe just me. I bet you also remember the other folks from our house of 80 - Ah Siong, Jiunn Wah, Irene, Michelle, Badak, Jason, Kham Bey, Auntie Suzy, and Chee Sin..Haa..I hope one day we can all get together for a reunion dinner. Hmm.. I wonder when will this day be.
Anyway, I am glad to learn that things have been working out for you and you had also spent the most splendid time of your life for the past two years. I wish you all the best in life for many years to come. Like you mentioned, 'better action than talk', so I look forward to meeting up with you next year ok! Take care my friend!
Meanwhile, keep up with your good work on this blog so I'll be in sync with the wonderful tidbits of your life.