Friday, August 19, 2005

Me

I am known by several names. My original name is in chinese characters. Because I was born in Malaysia, my parents had to alphabetize my name into some words that are telligible to the Malay government. Yong Hua Jin. Sadly, of all the three words, only Hua is correct. Yong (my last name) in mandarin pin yin is supposed to be Yang 2nd tone, pronouced as Young to the west. Jin is wrong. The actual pin yin for it is Jing 1st tone. It makes me mad to think that my legal name is full of mistakes.

Nobody calls me Hua Jin anymore. That was my school name for 12 years. Relatives call me Jing Jing. Parents still call me Jing Yang, which is an endearment term for a child. I officially became Angeline when I attended college, but then those who became closer with me in college began to call me Hua Jing. And I actually wouldnt allow them to call me Angeline, for instance with Zoe, my best friend. I remember once she said Angeline and I cringed at how weird it felt and so I made her promise never to address me like that ever. I never called Zoe by Zoe either.

I had another interesting circle of close friends that called me Cat, as in the purrry animal, in varying terms namely, kucing, which means cat in Malaysian, Ah Mao, in mandarin, and meow meow. That happened throughout the time I was in college. There were instances where friends and acquaintances didnt get to know my real name for the longest time because we became so friendly with me just being a 'cat'.

Then when I got to Hong Kong, I was able to keep my cattitude low for quite a bit, and then somehow during the outreach phase, I inevitably let the cat out of the bag again. Terms like gato, xiao mao mao, kitty and such began to proliferate.

And of course for most people in my life right now, as far as they are concerned, I am Angeline.

But what do I consider me? Hua Jing, Angeline, and Mao Mao, they are all equally significant. It is said, God calls me by my name... I can't help to wonder, by which one?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He will call you by the name He gave to You! Later everybod will get a new namen. no one knows allready which name that is. but He will call you by the Name He gave to you

*asteriskos* said...

haha... that is weird. u're a lovely person so nevermind which name God is using, probably u don't even understand God's language, if He wants u to know maybe He will let u know the divine language and u're the chosen One for His mission. so, listen carefully, r u ready? hehe..

Anonymous said...

I kinda miss you this Saturday morning. All those things we used to do on Saturdays, Ck, and you.

Anonymous said...

Ahahahha the Cat speaketh - hrmmm...not sure what i call you most of the time - probably Angeline - but anyhow, could i use ur little blog excerpt in my class? Am teaching autobiographies to start the semester and I wanted something simpler, endearing and more up to date than what I could find on the net. So if yes, pls do let me know so I can make copies and give it out to my students. Thanks and haf a nice catty, angeline, hua jing-like day.
Whatever that is ;)

Zoe said...

Sorry for the dropped call =)I left your number in my cub.... so =) anyway, will talk to you some other time, HUA JING.

Anonymous said...

hey beautiful
that's what I call you..:) and many other names....
love you and miss you....
all well here.
many blessings
Annabanana